Fort Ross State Historic Park
Fort Ross, the southernmost Russian outpost in North America, stands on a high ocean bluff, with a calm sheltered cove below. The settlement was established in 1812 by explorers and fur traders of the Russian-American Company who came to hunt sea otters and seals. The settlers—25 Russians and 80 Alaskan Aleuts brought along to help in the hunt,...
Fort Ross, the southernmost Russian outpost in North America, stands on a high ocean bluff, with a calm sheltered cove below. The settlement was established in 1812 by explorers and fur traders of the Russian-American Company who came to hunt sea otters and seals. The settlers—25 Russians and 80 Alaskan Aleuts brought along to help in the hunt, built houses, barracks, workshops, and other structures, and surrounded them by a stockade; a Russian Orthodox chapel was added in 1820. Villages for the Aleuts and for lower-ranking employees were established outside the stockade. The colony also grew wheat and other crops for settlers at Russian outposts in Alaska.
By 1820, over-hunting had depleted otter and seal populations along the coast, and the Russian-American Company instituted a hunting moratorium. The colony declined, and in 1841 the company sold Fort Ross to John Sutter, who was later to make a fortune in the Gold Rush. In 1906 the State acquired the Fort Ross stockade for a park. It is one of California’s oldest state parks. The Rotchev House, which served as the residence for the fort’s last manager, Alexander Rotchev, is the only original structure to survive; it contains construction techniques dating back to the Russian era. Other buildings have been extensively restored and reconstructed. The park's acreage has been expanded to include some 3,000 acres in addition to the fort compound. A variety of interpretive programs is offered, and Cultural Heritage Day is celebrated on the last Saturday in July.
Trailhead: Near the visitor center
Length: Less than .5 mile
Typical Width: 4 ft. & above
Typical Grade: Gentle
Begin your outing at the visitor center, to absorb the history of the various cultures that mingled in this settlement—Russian, Alaskan, and native and mixed-heritage Californian. The asphalt trail to the fort compound begins at the visitor center. You can start from the front of the visitor center, follow the path to your right and wind downhill through...
view full description
The facilities listed below meet all of our access criteria unless otherwise noted.
The Fort Ross visitor center, completed in 1985, is an imposing, high-beamed wood structure designed to resemble the buildings of the old Russian fort. It’s well worth a visit just in itself, with its trove of information about and artifacts from the Russian settlement at Fort Ross and the Kashaya Pomo people who preceded it, as well as the Aleut people who were brought to the settlement from Alaska by the Russians to hunt otter. Look especially for the lovely maps and charts of the California coast made by Russian explorers, and replicas of the kayaks used by the Aleuts. A video about the settlement can be seen in the main auditorium.
By the visitor center and at the fort proper
At the visitor center. The porta-potties in the fort compound are not accessible.
Off the main parking lot near the visitor center